Nutritional Products FAQs
Will a diet that consists of pureed foods still offer complete nutrition?
When foods are blended, the body absorbs more of the nutrients. Blended foods such as a puréed diet can help prevent complications related to improper nutrition. The power of the blender can break up the plant's cell walls, making the nutrients more absorbable.
It is also important to note that although more nutrients are absorbed when eating a puréed diet, this kind of food often falls short on the body getting enough macronutrients such as protein. Always consult with your physician to ensure you are getting all the nutrition you need if you require to be on a puréed diet.
Does MCT oil help with weight loss?
Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) are a form of saturated fat that’s extracted from coconut oil. Body fat reduces when taking MCT oil, and people tend to feel a sense of fullness quicker and longer than usual. MCTs are also a great source of energy and may fight bacterial growth, help protect your heart, and help manage diabetes, Alzheimer’s, epilepsy, and autism. Adding 1–2 tablespoons per day to coffee, smoothies, and salad dressing has been shown to help promote weight loss and increase energy.
Do electrolyte drinks work?
The body becomes dehydrated when electrolytes are lost through sweat during exercise, working in a high-heat environment, or are ill with diarrhea and vomiting. These electrolytes are essential for controlling fluid balance, regulating blood pressure, helping your heart contract, and maintaining the blood’s proper pH. Common electrolytes are sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium.
When drinking an electrolyte beverage, the goal is to distribute these minerals throughout the body to rehydrate and stimulate all the essential bodily functions.
Some of the ways electrolyte drinks are beneficial:
- Dehydration from Illness - If you are choosing an electrolyte drink for dehydration caused by illness, pick one that doesn’t contain a lot of sugar, such as Pedialyte with its proper balance of water, carbohydrates, and electrolytes.
- Improving exercise performance - If you are very athletic or exercise often, additional fluids are needed to replace the water and electrolytes lost in sweat. Drinking electrolyte-enhanced waters can help replenish those electrolytes and energy lost.
- Prevention of heat stroke – If you work in a high-heat environment for prolonged periods, you might be at risk for heatstroke or other heat-related illnesses such as heat rash. The body works harder to cool down in these conditions and can benefit from electrolyte drinks that will help bring the body temperature down and stay hydrated.
In the end, electrolyte drinks do work to aid in rehydration, but the kind of electrolyte drink you choose depends on the circumstances.
How can I add more fiber to my diet?
Fiber is beneficial in so many ways. It helps reduce constipation, helps with weight loss, and can also help keep your cholesterol in check. Fiber promotes healthy gut bacteria. It is recommended that men get 38 grams of fiber a day, and women get 25 grams per day.
Some of the ways you can add more fiber to your diet are:
- Eat your vegetables first. This way, you will make sure to eat more of them at each meal. Some non-starchy vegetables include:
- Brussel sprouts
- Water chestnuts
- Eat popcorn. It’s a whole grain delivering 4 grams of fiber per 3 cups popped.
- Snack on fruits, especially apples and berries. All fruits pack fiber, although these are higher than others.
- Choose whole grains over refined grains. Some whole-grain options are oatmeal, brown rice, barley, bulgar wheat, quinoa.
- Snack on nuts and seeds. Chia seeds alone provide omega-3 fatty acids, protein, vitamins, minerals, and 11 grams of fiber per ounce. They are a 95% insoluble fiber.
- Eat avocados. Each one delivers 10 grams of fiber!
- Take a fiber supplement. If you aren’t getting enough fiber in your daily diet, a fiber supplement might be a good option. We offer a variety of delicious fiber supplements that can help increase your fiber intake to optimal amounts.
Can adults get the same benefits as children by drinking Pedialyte?
YES! Pedialyte has often been the choice for helping children dehydrated from vomiting and diarrhea due to illness. Still, it is just as beneficial for adults as it is their counterparts. When the body is dehydrated, finding ways to reintroduce electrolytes that are depleted is an integral part of maintaining one’s overall health. While Pedialyte doesn’t contain the high amounts of sugar and sodium some other sports drinks do, it does provide more potassium, which helps make Pedialyte a smart choice for both children and adults alike.